The Liberal Senate Forum

Connect

facebook Ideas Forum youtube flickr

Meet Senator

Art Eggleton

The Hon. Art  Eggleton, P.C. Senator Art Eggleton has served the people of Canada and the city of Toronto in public office for over 35 years. He was appointed to the Senate on March 24, 2005, by the Rt Honourable Paul Martin and represents the province of Ontario.

Ideas Forum

Mandatory Minimums for Child Trafficking - Bill C-268

Feedback

Read the comments left on this page or add yours.
Posted by Sheri Ruffo (Sherwod Park) on 29 May 2010

I write to encourage the Senate to pass Bill C-268 before the summer break, without amendments.

Most will agree that the bill is a desperately needed piece of legislation. Some question why the proposed minimum mandatory sentences are so low and others have concerns about technical drafting issues. These are good questions but ones that I truly hope will not cause the bill to be delayed any further. You know far better than I how difficult it can be to create and change laws. In my opinion, Bill C-268 is a good starting place; let’s get it passed now so that we have a more formalized mechanism of prosecuting those who would take advantage of those who cannot speak for themselves. The victims of trafficking need our protection, they need our support, they need to know that Canada is still the “true north strong and free”!

I thank you for your service to Canada as a Senator. May your decisions be guided by wisdom.

Disclaimer

The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of their author. The contents of this forum have not necessarily been endorsed by the Liberal Senate Forum and do not represent official policy in any way.

Ideas Forum

Role and future of the Senate

26 Mar, 2013 | By Helen |

Climate change and a fair tax system

17 Nov, 2011 | By Don | Climate Change: this is the most important issue facing us. Visit the James Hansen website and find in the most recent paper that warming is accelerating and temperature anomalies are becoming greater.

4 Days Work Week in Canada - Why haven't we opt for that yet?

30 Aug, 2011 | By OATRICK | " I am a proud Canadian. I love our country. However I feel Canada needs a four day work week like France. Even our country to the south of us may introduce a four day work week in certain states.

Canadian Armed Forces pensions

26 Aug, 2011 | By Craig | Are an absolute mess. Clawbacks at a certain age, overshadowed by medical pensions which are of no real tangible value (they devalue the regular pension, resulting in no real net gain for a medical condition, say, like a blown off limb), and a faulty and flawed Veterans Affairs portfolio.

Preservation of Canadian Lighthouses

5 Jul, 2011 | By Michel | I read with interest the report of the Senate on the above subject.
« 1 2 3 4 5  ... » 

Submit an idea

Contribute to the Ideas Forum
Recycle

You can retrieve this page at:
http://www.liberalsenate.ca/issues/forum/9767_Mandatory-Minimums-for-Child-Trafficking---Bill-C-268.
Please recycle this document.